skip to Main Content
Back To Top
- The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS): Database containing information about federal student loans. This is the first stop for borrowers who need information about their outstanding federal loans. Private student loans do not appear in the NSLDS.
- Student Loan Borrower Assistance: Website created by the National Consumer Law Center’s Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project. This website is a good place to begin for borrowers who are in default or facing unaffordable payments, and want to understand their options.
- Federal Student Aid: The federal government’s website for all student loan issues, including repayment, forgiveness, cancellation and discharge. This page also contains links to loan servicer’s websites.
- The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman: Government office that provides assistance to borrowers who have disputes with lenders and servicers.
- DisabilityDischarge.com: Website operated by Nelnet, the government contractor that handles discharge applications. This site provides guidance on how to apply for a discharge based on total and permanent disability (TPD), and provides necessary forms.
- Above the Law’s January 2016 article: Describing the current state of the U.S. legal system with respect to the discharge of student loans in bankruptcy. A good concise summary with links to the author’s sources.